Friday, January 9, 2015

Primary Writing Tools



Each of these tools can be found at my Plain and Simple Primary TPT store and are included in the Packet:

In my classroom, I make a trifold out of the Mini Word Wall, Months of the Year/Colors/Days of the Week, and letters/vowels pages.  The other sheets  (Alphabet chart sheet and chunks sheets) I just laminate and keep on hand.  


To make the trifold tools I  put two file folders together.  Then I used a glue stick to put the sheets over the top of each page, and laminating the entire tool.  I keep these tools available for each student, because besides the great writing resources on each page, it is a good way to help my students concentrate and help keep them from getting distracted when writing independently.

Another thing that I do with a few of these sheets is simply get them laminated individually and I have them on hand in my writing area for when I am working with students on writing.  The alphabet helpers below are a great tool in this packet geared towards beginning writers that may not be as strong with their letters and sounds just yet. I laminate these and keep them on hand as well.  I also give them to my writers that need these the most to keep in their writing folders.



The final component of the packet is for higher level writers that can apply the phonics chunks and patterns in their writing because they have a very secure foundation of letter sounds and even basic words.  They are writing more extensive words that we have not learned yet in class and can use each of these "chunks we know" sheets to help them write new words.  These are only a few of the chunks that we learn for reading in phonics, because they are the chunks that are most common to be used in primary writing (not reading).  An extensive group of "Chunks we know" posters to reinforce patterns in phonics in your room that match up with the ones on the sheets here (as well as more) are also available in the Phonics Chunk Cards - Digraphs and Assorted Patterns for Primary Readers Packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...