Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Open House (and Back to School Night)

At my school, "Backpack Night" and "Open House" are two different events.  For backpack night, kids bring their stuff (right before the school year starts) and they get a sneak peak of the classroom.  I put out important sign ups and send a packet of information (and fun "get to know you" homework for the first week of school).  Open House is the night where students show off what we have been doing in school.

These are some things that I really like to have out for families on these nights.



I just fold a large piece of construction paper for a "folder" for them to take all the information that I put together for them and glue on a cover.

  
(These are cover options that I made for K-4 and put in my Open House and Back to School Night Bundle)


I also like to give them some sort of a fun treat.  This year I made some labels for a bag of gold fish saying "I'm o-FISH-ally in 2nd grade."
  
I made a couple different grade level versions that you can download for free here.

I also put out a lot of my sign ups for Backpack Night.  I get black 8x10 frames from the dollar store and put all of my signs in them.  I always put out:
-"Welcome Please Take One" with a scavenger hunt for the night
-"Volunteer Information" (a sign up with details on what they are interested in doing, availability, etc)
-"Party Treats Sign Up"Sign
-"Parent Teacher Conference Sign Up" Sign
-A Classroom "Giving Tree" Sign




























When Open House comes around I put out a "Welcome" Sign with a 4x6 picture of the class (from the 1st day usually) in it.



My favorite craft that we do before Open House is definitely our "Book Recommendations.  In the beginning of the year, spreading the love of reading is so important and one of the things that has always helped my class is encouraging them to recommend books to others.  We have a "Book Recommendation Board" that we added to the class and kids have been adding books that they really love to that (I'll be sure to post about that as well).  For the Book recommendation craft, the "Back Blurb" of the book is them really bragging a book up (without giving away the ending of course).  They really got into the writing for these and took it very seriously that their job was to hook others into wanting to read the book that they chose to recommend.  The craft part was super fun too and they turned out amazing!









Another one of the crafts I like is the "Who Am I" because the parents have to guess (based on interests and portrait) who their child is.  They lift the flap to see.


This year we also made Acorns that said what we really liked about school to share with parents.


Each of the crafts and signs that I put out for Backpack Night and Open House are on my TPT page here if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...